Install the WebAssign Building Block
Install and configure the WebAssign building block to enable WebAssign access through Blackboard®.
The latest version of the WebAssign building block is 2.3.0. Only this version is supported.
This version of the building block is supported for Blackboard 9.1 Service Pack 14 and later, including SaaS deployment with either the Original or Ultra Course View.
Before you begin, contact your Learning Consultant to request a domain, key, and secret for your Blackboard installation. If needed, you can find your Learning Consultant at cengage.com/repfindercengage.com/repfinder/postSecondaryEdFacultyCanada/cengageasia.com/Contact-Ushttp://www.cengage.co.in/Rep_Locatorcengage.co.uk/education/contact-us-2/au.cengage.com/repfinderlatinoamerica.cengage.com/contacto/ (Latin America) or cengage.com.br/contato/ (Brazil).
- Download the WebAssign building block from webassign.net/blackboard/webassign.war.
- Sign in to Blackboard as a system administrator.
Navigate to the list of installed building blocks.
- Open the administrator panel.
- Under Building Blocks, click Building Blocks.
- Click Installed Tools.
Install the building block.
- Click Upload Building Blocks.
- Browse to the WebAssign building block you downloaded and click Submit.
When prompted to confirm database changes, click
The WebAssign building block is installed.Note Do not navigate away from the page until the installation is finished.
- If needed, click Return to go back to the Installed Tools page.
The WebAssign building block is listed with its version and availability status.
Set up the connection with WebAssign.
Change the Availability of the WebAssign
building block from Inactive to Unavailable.
A list of permissions required by the building block is displayed.
You can now configure the building block before making it available.
- Click WebAssign building block and select Settings.
- On the Configure page, click Specify Connection.
Enter the domain, key, and secret provided to you by WebAssign.
Note You do not need a new key and secret when upgrading existing installations of the WebAssign building block to a later version.
If the connection is established, a Connection Successful message is displayed.
If you can't connect:
- Change the Availability of the WebAssign building block from Inactive to Unavailable.
Make the new building block available for use.
Important Do not make the building block available in the middle of a term.
When a student accesses WebAssign for the first time from Blackboard, they are automatically added to your WebAssign class roster.
- At the top of the Configure page, click Installed Tools and navigate to the WebAssign building block.
- Change the Availability of the building block to Available.
If nearly all Blackboard classes at your school also use WebAssign, you can set Course/Org Default to
Available to display the WebAssign tool by default for new courses.
Important Do not set Course/Org Default to Available if a significant number of instructors use Blackboard but not WebAssign.