The Build Engineer will work with the CI/Build team to relentlessly automate processes and environments that affect software engineers and quality assurance analysts.
This position focuses on software engineering within a DevOps team. Our goal is paving a smooth path from development through QA and staging to production deployments so our Development organization can easily and consistently develop, test, and deploy high quality software with minimal technical obstruction.
- Work with an agile team to build infrastructure to provide highly-performance environments for a variety of purposes. The ability to spin-up development, automated testing, and manual testing environments are some of what's needed.
- Accurately estimate and plan work necessary to add new features, iterate existing features, and repair bugs
- Analyze complex technical and business problems with other engineers and help determine the best solution
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, analysts, and product owners
- Be an active part of WebAssign's technical culture
- Experience with scripting languages like Perl, Ruby, or Python to enhance environment provisioning and build automation
- Experience with Continuous Integration environments like Jenkins/Hudson, Bamboo, or CruiseControl
- Experience with config management software (Chef, Puppet) to provision and maintain multiple systems and roles efficiently
- Experience with system provisioning tools like Kickstart, Cobbler, or BoxGrinder
- Ability to test environment provisioning and build processes
- Techniques for troubleshooting and resolving problems in a high-volume, always-available environment
- A strong desire to be part of a cross-functional development team. Work with other Build Engineers, Software Engineers, and QA Analysts in close consultation with Product Owners to solve problems iteratively
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with systems administration
- Identifying one-off, manual processes and refactoring the process to automate and test it instead
- Working with a "tests first" or "red/green/refactor" mindset
- Working with local and remote environments, perhaps virtual machines or a public cloud
- Familiar with agile concepts like Scrum or Kanban
- Identifying and solving problems before they're noticed
- Experience with deploying Software as a Service applications
- Familiarity with the concepts of Infrastructure as a Service and Platform as a Service
- At least four years of software development experience, preferably with significant experience with environment automation and continuous integration
- A bachelor's degree. A degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field is a plus
- A passion for iteratively facilitating agile software development
- A passion for helping teachers teach and students learn
Please send resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
WebAssign is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V